I announced last Sunday to our congregation that beginning August 7th we will add a 3rd Sunday worship service. Currently we meet at 9:15 and 11am for identical worship experiences, but beginning on August 7th we will have 8:30, 10 & 11:30am services.
We have experienced great growth in our initial season in our new facility and this move is one that we feel like helps us accommodate those who are already attending and prepare for those who aren’t here yet.
Here were some of the determining factors in our decision:
- What is the % of capacity of both our existing services? Depending on who you read or listen to, no one, especially guests, likes to be in a room that is 100% full (except the preacher and the worship leader). So once you hit 70-80% (this number varies by the set up of your room) you are actually full.
- What # makes the room feel empty? While we obviously want to consider how full the room is, we also want to be aware of the # of people in the room that makes it feel empty. We want to try and insure that moving to 3 services doesn’t slow the momentum that we have by creating multiple less energetic, empty services.
- How many volunteers do we have, and how many would we need to add a service? We ran the numbers to understand what our current number of volunteers was for 2 services, and how many we would need to do 3 services. We didn’t just multiply the # for 1 service by 3, we tried to be strategic in our assessment of the needs for each individual service.
- What was the Lord saying to us about this move? While this is listed last, it was first and on-going for us in the entire process.
Obviously, since we are making this move all of the answers to the above questions were positive. We felt that our capacity numbers were right, our volunteers needs were attainable, and the Lord was leading us in this direction.
We are excited about this next step in the journey. I’ll keep you posted about our process.
What has your experience been in adding new services?
Latest posts by Jeremy Isaacs (see all)
- What To Do When You’re Worried - February 9, 2018
- A Game Changer for People Who Worry About…Anything - February 5, 2018
- 5 Ways to Make Better Decisions - January 31, 2018